What causes curling up of fingers while sleeping?

Question
MY FINGERS CURL IN THE PALM OF MY HANDS WHEN I SLEEP. VERY PAINFUL. I HAVE TO OPEN THEM ONE BY ONE AND THEY CLICK (JOINTS) IS THIS A SYMPTOM OF RA?
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: Osteoarthritis Detailed Answer: Hi RA does not usually present at this age. It could be Osteoarthritis coupled with bone loss. I suggest you hold something like cotton ball while you go to bed so that the next morning you would not have so much of difficulty opening them. As I could read you seem to have go osteophytes / bursa growing at these joint. The lumps could be from the bursa coming out. Cortisone injections are favored initially but limited number of times. Physical therapy adds value to the treatment. Recent advances in the therapy give good relief of the pain. You should get a right referral to the Physical Medicine and Rehab expert from GP / Orthopedic surgeon.