What causes crunching sound from knees when standing up?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Dear Doctor, I have my knees When I stand up from a crouching/sitting position,I hear a bit of a crunching sound from my knees ,I have no pain just the sound ,and sometimes when I am walking but not always . regards, XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 13 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Normal phenomena Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing in. As you describe the symptoms as painless crunching noise, I do not think we have any reasons to worry. Sometimes as a normal phenomena, fluid (synovial fluid) that lubricate the joint release bubbles which pop and crackle with movement. This occurs very commonly after a period of inactivity or during certain movements. I am not sure if this is what you have, but this is my most likely explanation to your symptoms. You don't need to worry if there is no associated joint pain; but you have to do some conditioning exercises to improve the overall integrity of the joint - stronger muscle will take the weight of the joint and help to reduce the pressure on articulating surfaces, thus preventing any damage to the joint. Regards