What causes coughing up of green sputum,headaches and body aches?

General Surgeon
Hi .... I have had a chest infection for a week or so and taking Penicillin for 4 days. I am weak, coughing up green sputum, headaches and body aches with temperature. I have woken up with awful chest pain on the right hand side. What could be wrong with me? Thankyou Robyn I am 62 yrs old
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Your symptoms may indicate lungs infection or pneumothorax due to severe coughing. Pneumothorax is more possible if you smoke and the chest pain has appeared suddenly. If your problems has started with throat pain, cough, high fever, shivers, most likely infection has been caused by virus (it is called flue). Penicillin and any other antibiotic is inactive against viruses. So the antibiotic was not necessary. However if the symptoms last few days, bacterial infection also appears. In that point, antibiotic is advisable. Please note that Penicillin can be to weak antibiotic. I suggest you to visit your doctor. Chest X-ray should be done and stronger antibiotic prescribed (like Cefuroxim). Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.