What causes cough, running nose and high temperature in a 4 year old?

My son is 4 years old he is coughing with a runny nose and his temperature is between 100.8 to 101.8 F i give him tylenol every 4 hour which seems to help what does he have?
Posted Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Cough and fever Detailed Answer: Hello. Thank you for your question. Runny nose, cough, and fever are very common symptoms in this age group. Causes range from simple colds to pneumonia. All possible causes are treatable. More history would be needed to make the diagnosis. Things like how long have the symptoms been going on for, how is he sleeping at night, is he active, does he have an appetite, etc,would all be helpful. If you can provide me with this information, I will be better able to help. Additionally, a physical exam would be very important. If the symptoms have persisted for more than 48 hours, or if your son is having shortness of breath, I recommend consulting with your doctor Good luck