What causes cough followed by vomiting?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My son is 17 months old. He is having cough and cold for the last 3 days. Hos doc gave hom zyrcold ad bricanyl syrup. But today after being on meds for 2 days he vomittes thrice. His doc gavew emeset syrup for vomiting. He throwed up once after taking emeset tooo. Should I be worried ??
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 6 hours later
Brief Answer: usually not to worry Detailed Answer: Hi, Mostly infants vomit as they are not able to cough out the sputum like adults. They tend to swallow the sputum and this causes vomiting. If the vomiting is recurrent,or there is associated loose motions,or there is fever,pl go back to the doctor again . Otherwise just once or twice vomiting and able to retain milk and other food is OK. You can continue the same medicines. See that she does not get dehydrated,give her fluids like juices,milk God bless Dr Uma