What causes conjoined twins? Can difficult pregnancies cause conjoined twins? Does blood type play a role?

Hi. I don't have conjoined twins myself and am not pregnant but I'm wondering what causes conjoined twins? can difficult pregnancies cause conjoined twins? does blood type play a role. I know certain blood types are more prone to depression and thyroid issues like the O blood group. I wonder if certain blood types are more at risk for having conjoined twins or being born as a conjoined twin? thanks
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Deepti Goyal 3 days later

Conjoined twins form when, after fertilization of a single ova, division occurs after 2 weeks of development of embryonic disc. It means, when a single ova is fertilized but it divides into two after few weeks of fertilization then conjoined twin can result.

The incidence of conjoined twin is very low which is less than 0.2% of all twin pregnancies.The incidence of such type of twins is constant all over the world and is not affected by any major factor.

As such, difficult pregnancies don't result in conjoined twins. There are some evidences which state that assisted reproductive techniques can result in the increased incidence of such type of twins due to blastocyst damage.

There is no relationship of blood group with twin pregnancy incidence.The frequency of such type of twins is almost constant and is affected only by maternal environmental factors.

Hope this information is helpful and informative to you.

Good luck.

For any further queries you can directly reach out to me on the following URL: