What causes congestion from head down to throat and severe headache?

For the past two weeks or so I wake up around 4am with congestion from my head down to my throat and a severe headache. What can I do? My head also feels hot and itchy.
Posted Sat, 4 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following suggestions... Detailed Answer: Hi, The symptoms you are having might be related to: - quick increase in high blood pressure (can measure your BP at that particular moment and record the result for reference) - possible rhinitis or common cold - thyroid hormones imbalances (can check the thyroid hormones levels in blood) - imbalances in your potassium levels. Check blood potassium. At the end, I'd advise to have your - heart checked (ECG and cardiac echo and holter monitoring) - thyroid hormones checked - potassium levels measured for further evaluation and treatment. All the best! Feel free to ask me other questions you might have at the next follow up! Dr.Alba
Follow-up: What causes congestion from head down to throat and severe headache? 55 minutes later
Ihavehad heart checked (ECG amd cardiac and holter monitoring. I have also had thyroid checked that's why I was put on Levothyroxine; had potassium checked and put on potassium. I will check my blood pressure next time during the time I have these severe headaches. I did check it when I got up this morning and it appeared normal.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: Kindly send in the requested data of yours! Detailed Answer: Hi my dear, Could you please send in the ECG, cardiac echo and holter results? That could help me assist you further. When did you start the current therapy with Levothyroxine and potassium supplement? The time is important to calculate the changes in your body balances. Next, did you have such feeling before starting the treatment? Have you had any recent flu-like symptoms (runny nose, sneezing, cough,etc.)? Could you check your blood sugar and kindly send in the results? (you can use a home-testing kit). Looking forward to kindly have the requested data together with blood pressure results! Thank you! Dr.Alba