What causes cold, cough and heart expansion when i blow my nose?

Hello- I am suffering from a head cold. I have a cough but no chest congestion. I was wondering why every time I blow my nose it feels as though my heart is expanding. It feels like a balloon being blown up. Not painful, just weird. I have stuffy feeling in head and ringing in ears. Can barely breath through my nose. Thank you.
Posted Sun, 23 Mar 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Not due to a cardiac pathology. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. The acute sinus congestion and cold that you are having can cause an increase in the pressure in your chest whenever you blow your nose. This can cause a feeling of expansion of the heart. If there is no chest pain or breathlessness or sudden severe sweating then there is no need to worry. This is not likely to be due to any cardiac pathology. Symptomatic relief can be found with use of a) Steam inhalation using warm water and menthol three times a day for 3 days b) Topical saline nasal drops - 2 drops instilled into each nostril c) Antihistamines / mast cell stabilizers. d) Avoiding dust and allergies e) Adequate rest; proper nutrition and plenty of fluids. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL