Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes circular lesion on my penis head?

I have a slightly raised circular lesion on my penis head, skin appears normal in the center
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: This could be a fungal infection! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about lesion that you have on the tip of your penis. I have reviewed the information and images that you have provided. The circular nature, active borders and apparently normal center is highly suggestive of a fungal infection. Before we settle on this, I will like to know for how long you have had this and whether you have witnessed any itches. Also, has it be increasing over time or it is has remained the same in size? are you sexually active? Is your partner having any symptoms? Though seemingly very typical of a fungal infection, we should bear it mind that it may represent a different infection type like an STD. Please, I will be right here to get this additional information and offer more clarifications and help. I wish you the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: What causes circular lesion on my penis head? 3 minutes later
There is no itching or pain.. It's been about 3 months or so it started small and grew over time.. I'm an sexually active .. I've tried some athletes foot spray on it but there was no change
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: This is tinea corporis! Detailed Answer: Thanks for this follow up precision. It is most likely a fungal infection, called tinea corporis. I am pretty confident you noticed some change using the athletes foot spray but this need a longer duration for real changes to be observed. I will like you to use OTC clotrimazole cream. Apply twice daily(Morning and evening) for 14days. Also, avoid any unprotected sexual encounter during this period. If your partner has any symptoms, they would need to be addressed also to make sure no one gets infected or re-infected after treatment. I wish you well. Keep me posted on the progress. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD.