What causes chronic pain below left shoulder blade, with leg pain and locked fingers?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am a 68 yr. old female with chronic back problems for years-lower back that forces me to stop whatever I am doing(gardening, housework etc). I walk 2-3 miles miles a day and am generally active as has been my habit for all my life. I have developed a chronic pain below my left shoulder blade, chronic severe leg pain, locked fingers on my right hand, toes that cramp, leg cramps, and severe pain behind my knees, especially at night. I am unable to sleep because of the pain in my legs, that ache all day and gets worse when I walk. I have consulted a chiropractor, but the pain got worse. Other doctors just tell me to walk more, or suggest a phychiatrist. I know I have stenosis and some herniated disks, but no doctor seems to take me seriously. Please give me some advice. Two years ago I went to a pain clinic and received steroid shots, but it did not help. I feel desperate for an answer, don't know who to see and don't want to be told again that maybe I need anti-depressants. I want my life back so I can grow my own organic vegies again. Also have severe lower back pain radiating throughout my whole back. Thank you. -XXXX
Posted Tue, 18 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Do consult an orthopedician. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The possible causes of your symptoms are- Poor postural habits Muscular strain Ligaments sprain Herniated disc Spinal stenosis Osteoporosis Fibromyalgia The first step is to ensure that you maintain an appropriate posture while working. Take frequent stretch breaks and drink lots of water. Discontinue using pillow while sleeping straight. Do not lift heavy objects, especially after bending down. Eat a healthy wholesome meal which should satisfy your minerals and proteins requirement. The most essential and long lasting remedy is exercises. There are certain back strengthening and knee isometric exercises that you must learn from a physiotherapist and perform them at home whenever possible. You can also undergo a weeks session of traction at your physiotherapist's clinic. Last but not least, if its unbearable take medications or muscle relaxant prescribed by your physician. And if it has been long standing illness visit your orthopaedician and clinically-radiologically establish a diagnosis to commence definitive treatment. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL