What causes child's feet to swell after exercise and goes down with elevation?

my 13 year old daughter's feet swells after exercise of walking. elevation helps it go down afterwards. she is of normal weight and has no other co-morbidities
Posted Sun, 15 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that since you give the history that the swellikng gets relieved on elevation of feet it is possibly due to water retention rather that any synovitis . There can be multiple causes for this none can be pointed out by history only . I will advise you to see a physician , get a Serum protein , albumin , globulin , S TSH , Renal function tests needs to be done . Ideally a 2 D echo should also be done to rule out any cardiac cause. Only after these tests and examination a proper conclusion can be made and treatment will be done accordingly . It can be sometimes due to recent hormonal changes as she started menstruating so you can wait and watch but if it persists you will require this testing as mentioned above . Take care. Dr. Shruti