What causes chest pains and heart spasm?

I am a 35 year old male 5 foot ten inches. Weighing in at 234. I have bben to the er with chest pains a couple of times had xrays and ekg done . They say its gas. I wasn't ok with that so I had my family dr put me on a halter monitor for 24 hours. They said there was a little activity at about 2 in the morning . But said its nothing thay bad . I do feel spasms in my heart area feom time to time. And both of my grand parents on my mothers side died from heart issues.. what if anything should I do ?
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Heart Attack
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Lifestyle&diet changes are needed... Detailed Answer: Hi, Having a family member with heart problems will increase chances to develop such problems. However, not necessarily you will get those. I am glad to come to know that your ECG, holter monitoring and X-ray did show nothing. However, I'd suggest to do cardiac echo, and ECG stress test too to definitely exclude cardiac problems. The chest pains could be related to: - being stressed - foods and drinks you take - being overweight. I'd advise to start some lifestyle and diet changes to improve your symptoms and lose weight at the same time: - eat often and small portions, slowly - do not lay down immediately after eating - do not start physical activity immediately after eating. After you have your meals, stay sit for a while, then, lay or start activity - drink more water - exercise more - avoid spicy, chilly, fatty, sugary foods - avoid alcohol, smoking, carbonated/caffein/energetic drinks Such changes should be carried up for at least 3 months, time needed to see improvement. All the best! Dr.Benard Feel free to ask me other questions you might have!