What causes chest pain while trying to sit up ?

40 y.o. female with severe chest pain while trying to sit up from lying down. Continued pain and tightness/heaviness even after standing and walking around for over 15 minutes. Family history: father and grandfather died of heart attacks, brother had heart attack at 45 and mother had mitral valve prolapse.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 31 minutes later

Sitting up from a lying down position is the minimum exertion. Having a severe chest pain on such a minimal exertion needs medical attention.

I suggest you to consult a physician and get yourself thoroughly investigated as you have also got a family history of heart problem.

The symptoms of heart attack include squeezing type of chest pain with sweating and nausea/vomiting.

The predisposing factors include smoking, stress, obesity, Hypertension, Diabetes, increased cholesterol, etc.

Heart attack is unlikely to develop at a young age of yours, even though you have a family history.

The chest discomfort you are experiencing could be because of acidity. Acidity with the features of acid reflux will present as chest discomfort, eructation, with or without burning sensation in the chest and more so after meals.

You can get the following investigations done so that your doubts will be cleared.

1. Troponin -T and CPK-MB

2. ECG in all leads with a rhythm strip in lead 2

3. Echocardiography

4. Tread mill test

5. Thallium scan (Myocardial perfusion scintigraphy)

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.