What causes chest pain and pain in hand with high BP?

Jun 2015

I have chest discomfort/pain on right side from last 15 weeks , have high BP, I usually feel this pain with movement of right hand. I was a normal smoker 6-7 months back . left smoking, had X-ray few months back, report was negative doctor says its anxiety? not feeling the pain or discomfort while breathing. gained 11 kg weight in last 3-4 months. I am suffering with Gas also. I do feel pain in back some time
Posted Thu, 20 Mar 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Gastrointestinal cause Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. Normal findings on X ray & absence of discomfort while breathing rules out any Respiratory cause for your symptoms. However, given the history that you have a high BP, an ECG should be done to rule out any Cardiovascular pathology. The symptoms as mentioned in your post can be attributed to production & accumulation of gas in the stomach, which can be secondary to increased acid formation. The reason for increased acid production can be Stress/ Anxiety (as suspected by your Doctor), inappropriate diet & lifestyle methods or infection associated with a type of bacteria called Helicobacter pylori (H pylori). Other than the basic investigations like complete blood count, estimation of serum electrolytes & blood glucose, Lipid profile & Thyroid profile, certain specific investigations such as Endoscopy & Ultrasound scan of abdomen will be helpful in detecting any pathology in the Gastrointestinal tract. Symptomatic relief can be obtained with intake of: 1. Proton pump inhibitors (which prevent acid formation in stomach) like Omeprazole, Pantoprazole,etc. to be taken twice a day, half an hour before meals. 2. Antacid gel can also be taken after meals for the same. 3. Regular intake of Anti hypertensive medications to keep the BP in control. It is also needed that you take certain precautions regarding your diet & lifestyle, such as: 1. Take soft, plain, non-spicy foods 2. Drink lots of water to maintain adequate hydration 3. Avoid consuming irritating substances such as acidic & rich foods, caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol. 4. Have your meals regularly and at appropriate time of the day. Do not skip breakfast & never stay hungry. 5. Keep away stress, think positive. 6. Exercise regularly & practice meditation. 7. Avoid medicines like Ibuprofen, Diclofenac, etc for pain relief. They may further aggravate the condition. 8. Avoid staying awake late at nights. Get sufficient sleep. There is no need to worry, you will be fine. Please let me know if I can clarify further. Wishing a good health. Take care.
Follow-up: What causes chest pain and pain in hand with high BP? 1 hour later
Had lipid profiling LDL- 142.2mg/dl Non HDL 138mg/dl S.Triglyceraides 169 mg/dl, Serum Cholestrol 200mg/dl , ecg report is normal, Thyroid profile normal, ultrasound of kidney, abdomen is normal.
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 46 hours later
Brief Answer: Anxiety induced symptoms- Gastritis Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for your follow up query. 1. Taking into consideration that your ECG, Thyroid profile & Ultrasound scan are within normal limits, the symptoms can be attributed to Stress/Anxiety & Gastritis. 2. The lipid profile shows an increased level of LDL (Dyslipidemia). In the background of Hypertension & Dyslipidemia, Stress/Anxiety can act as a risk factor for Cardiovascular complications. So, you need to avoid stress. Kindly follow the medications & lifestyle measures as mentioned in my previous answer. Wishing a good health. Take care.