What causes charley horse when overusing my hand?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have a bruise or swelling in my left leg. It is not sore but my leg feels weak. About two weeks ago my left arm just above the wrist was swollen, again, no pain, but my arm felt weak and I have been suffering from charley horses when I over use my left hand, such as driving or typing. I have noticed that my lymph nodes may be swollen as my tonsil area is a little bulged. My tonsils were removed a year ago. What is going on? Thanks, Dianne.
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: systemic infection leading to swelling/lymph node Detailed Answer: Hello I have studied your case All your symptoms suggest systemic infection leading to swelling and enlarged lymph node. Enlarged lymph node in neck is common condition and needs proper evaluation. Most common reason for enlarged lymph node is usually infection, so we can start antibiotic regime and look for results. You may need to investigate in form of complete blood count, ESR, CRP, tuberculin test, and Fine needle aspiration cytology or open biopsy. There could be possibility of infection like Tuberculosis or sarcoidosis. Your weakness in arm and leg can be due to nerve compression in spine, so if your blood tests are normal then you may need to do MRI spine. So I will advise you to consult a specialist and do required investigation. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.