What causes change in hair growth pattern?

I have Stage 2 Primary Biliary Cirrhosis (diagnosed April 2013). For almost a year my naturally curly hair has become completely straight. In the last month the hair all over my body seems to have dramatically slowed. I am 50 years old and have not entered menopause. I have mentioned the curly hair change to my gastroenterologist previously but he told me your hair can't change texture. Just wondering if all this change in body hair is normal or not.
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your problem the first possibilty is of decreased hair all over body is due to excess of estrogens in the body . Liver diseases lead to increased levels of estrogens, particularly un- conjugated estrogens presumably resulting from decreased conjugation in the diseased liver . THe other contributing cause is the increased estradiol levels , from increased peripheral conversion from the androgens . More estrogen will slow down the hair growth as that is maintained by androgens which become less . Why your hair changed from curly to straight cannot be explained . Since change in hair growth pattern is related to liver dysfunction , I will advise you to get your liver functions checked at regular intervals and be in touch with your treating doctor. Take care. Dr. Shruti