What causes calf pain while climbing stairs?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi I walked up some steps and felt a sharp pain at the back of my calftendonitis.I have booked a physio tomorrow.AND applied R.I.C.E can she diagnose this or should I see a Dr?thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Most propably, a soft tissue strain. Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX It could be mostly due to a soft tissue strain (possibly a muscle) or a cramp. The treatment for either of the conditions is as follows - - Take Rest and do not do any activities that cause pain, till the acute pain subsides - Apply ice or a cold pack to the painful area for 15 to 20 minutes, 4 times a day for several days. Wrap the ice or cold pack in a towel. Do not apply the ice directly to your skin. - Take ibuprofen (Advil) or acetaminophen (Tylenol) to help relieve pain - Use moist heat fomentation over the painful area when you are returning to physical activity. Then use it before stretching. Gentle heating can help loosen the muscle - When the acute pain is gone, start gentle stretching exercises. Stay within pain limits. Hold each stretch for about 10 seconds and repeat 6 times. - Physical therapy may speed up the recovery process. Therapeutic modalities such as Ultrasound, Massaging and specific exercises will be helpful. - Gentle massaging of the painful area with a painkiller cream may provide swift relief Your symptoms should resolve with the above measures. If not, consult an orthopedic surgeon for further evaluation and management. Hope I have addressed your query. I welcome any more clarification Regards