What causes calcium deposits on knees?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi I have calcium deposits on my knee caps , to make things worse I am a keen cyclist and compete in races etc. I've had X-rays done to confirm it, I just want them gone in both knees I've Tried rest but doesn't make any difference. I'm a carpenter by trade so I need my leg I'm just not getting anywhere with my doctor. I think I need more bloods done to test what I may vitamins I'm deficient with or bone tests? What do you think Kind regard XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: It could be pseudogout. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. The calcium deposits of the knee are associated with pseudogout that causes pain in the knees. The diagnosis of pseudogout is ultimately made when fluid from a joint is examined under a special microscope called a polarizing microscope. With this microscope, the calcium pyrophosphate crystals are clearly identified by their characteristic shape and colour . I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care