What causes buzzing sensation on the left side of the head?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I recently had ear exam and found that I have more loss of hearing in left ear. I wear hearing aids in both ears. Hearing aids were adjusted to my recent loss of hearing. However earlier this week I began to hear a buzzing on the left side of my head near my left ear. I experimented with the hearing aids thinking that they were the problem. Thursday evening I experienced the buzzing without having the hearing aid in my left ear. Now I know that the buzzing is coming from my head. The buzzing is not consistant. It seems to happen when I move around a lot. I'm very concern about what this could be especially since I will be having cataract surgery coming up in the next few weeks. I haven't noticed any other symptoms, but this buzzing in my head is causing me real anxiety. Thank you for reading my email.
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Can be due to middle ear problem. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. Buzzing sound in the ear is called as Tinnitus and can be due to ear or nose infections, trauma, fluid or wax in ears, respiratory infections; damage to the middle ear etc. Since it has been increasing and is persistent with time it requires a careful evaluation. It would be better to see an ENT specialist for thorough examination of the ears and prescription of medications if required. Meanwhile you can follow these suggestions: 1) Reduce caffeine and salt intake. 2) Avoid smoking and consumption of alcohol. 3) Avoid using objects to clean your ears. 4) Take a Zinc supplementation once daily. 5) Do not take any medications as Aspirin as they can increase the buzzing sound. 6) Eat fresh Pineapple in the diet as it reduces inflammation if any. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL