Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes burnt rubber odor in urine and stool when suffering from high liver enzymes?

Hi...I have been having a burnt rubber odor to my urine and mucus in my feces. My liver enzymes are hi due to excessive alcoholic intake. Is that causing these symptoms or is it something else? Also been running low grade fever for months/
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Can be due to liver damage. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. A variety of things can change the way urine smells. Some conditions that cause a bad odor in urine are harmless and the smell is temporary. Other times, a foul smell to urine indicates a medical problem. Recognizing the causes of foul urine smells is important so that proper medical treatments can begin. The most common causes could be Dehydration resulting in concentrated urine Urinary Tract Infection Certain foods like onion and asparagus Liver Failure Uncontrolled diabetes can result in diabetic ketoacidosis causing ketones to spill in urine The mucus in the feces can also be related to liver problem as it leads to improper food digestion. Both the symptoms in your case are likely to be due to liver damage. But it is best to get your urine sample evaluated for any infection or other causes. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL