What causes burning sensations in hands and up the left arm?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, I have had burning sensations in my hands and up my left arm - it feels like it is in the nerves but nothing is visible. I had the same burning on my back years ago and it is numb in that spot still to this day. I also have a lot of leg pain in both legs, always at the same time. I am exhausted all the time. Do you have an idea of what it could be?
Posted Fri, 21 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Needs investigations. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. Burning sensations in the hands and up the left arm is suggestive of a nerve root compression at the cervical vertebral level due to degenerative disc changes or cervical spondylosis. The other symptoms can be related to injury to the back or spinal cord, Lack of blood supply to the legs as a result of plaque formation in the blood vessels, diabetes, stroke, multiple sclerosis and underactive thyroid. Abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body and a lack of vitamin B12 can also cause such sensations. We need to confirm the diagnosis by getting your blood sugar levels, EKG heart, vitamin B 12 levels and a neurological examination from a neurologist done. You should eat a healthy diet consisting more of meat and non veg products which are sources of vitamin B 12. If you are a vegetarian then you can take vitamin B 12 supplements after consulting your physician. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL