What causes burning sensation inside the thighs with bruising around a vein?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
I have had a intermittent stinging burning sensation on the inside of my thigh for at least six months. It is getting worse and occurs more often. Now some bruising is starting to appear around the area. The area is right on top of or around a vien that runs down the inside of my leg towards my knee. Ant ideas what might cause this.
Posted Tue, 18 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: Inflammation of veins or lymphatics Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query on HealthCareMagic. The symptoms of burning sensation on the inside of the thigh along with bruising around a vein suggests pathology of the vein. The most probable pathology being thrombophlebitis. Thrombophlebitis is inflammation of the wall of the vein and superimposed thrombus formation. Thrombus formation can lead to swelling and edema of the local area. You need to consult a surgeon for clinical examination and relevant investigations. Doppler study of the veins will evaluate the status of veins, presence or absence of any thrombus. In case, the valves of the veins are incompetent and the vein has developed varicosity, the vein may have to removed surgically. Before that antibiotics may be required to treat the infection. The other possibility is that of inflamed lymphatics. Inflamed lymphatics are accompanied by local lymph node enlargement and pain. Inflamed lymphatics are also treated by antibiotics. Consult your surgeon at the earliest. If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja P Wahal