What causes burning sensation in the ribcage area with painful spasm when suffering from diabetes?

I am experiencing a burning sensation in the ribcage area with also occasional mild but sometimes painful spasms. Gastronomist specialist has ruled out any stomach/heart burn issues. 55yr old hispanic male, 146lbs, type 2 diabetic (20+ yrs). Current meds = Janumet & aspirin. Former meds = was taking Hydro-codone for neck and toe wound but ran out. Glucose out of control (175-250). Stroke in early 2011 (no damage and currently fully mobile). Angioplasty surgery - late 2013 (both legs) to improve blood flow to infected toe area. Neck staff infection - late 2013 (removed some infected areas (healed).
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Diabetes/Chest pain Detailed Answer: Painful sensation in the chest area in a person with diabetes requires full evaluation to ensure it is not heart related. Such pain can present in different ways and have no symptoms at times. Given the fact that you have previously suffered other vascular problems (stroke and leg artery blockages) it is important to rule out cardiac issues. This entails seeing a cardiologist who in addition to examining you will perform tests like EKG, Stress test and possibly angiography/Cardiac CT etc. The other common condition is people with long standing, particularly uncontrolled diabetes is Neuropathy ie the nerve problem that causes pain in the rib cage area. If you have had a positive assessment by your doctor for neuropathy (meaning, you have evidence of the basis of symptoms or examination) then there is a chance it has affected the nerves in the rib cage area as well. However, this requires careful diagnosis and other common causes of pain this region must be ruled out such as muscle sprain, cartilage inflammation, gall stone etc. Finally, please see an Endocrinologist to control your diabetes better
Follow-up: What causes burning sensation in the ribcage area with painful spasm when suffering from diabetes? 10 hours later
Greetings Dr. Shehzad Topiwala, Thanks for your assistance on my current health issues. EKG and other heart related tests were conducted and all checked out ok (not perfect but ok). This was all conducted during a 2 week hospital stay. It looks Neuropathy could very well be the culprit as my diabetes has gone out of control. I will discuss with my Endocrinologist during next scheduled appointment. Thanks again for your assistance. Kind Regards, XXXXXXX Hernandez