What causes burning sensation in the calves?

Question
Swollen tingly nipples persisting for 3 months, burning sensation in calves after walking 3 blocks persisting for past 3 weeks, pulsing sensation in neck (past week), some shortness of breath, dizziness, generalized feeling of weakness.
Posted Sun, 19 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
To rule out peripheral vascular disease

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your query.
I'm Dr. Shuba Hariprasad and will be answering your query today.

Your symptoms indicate a peripheral vascular disorder.
Would you clarify a few things for me, please?
*do you smoke or consume alcohol?
*do you have any other medical issues or take any medications?
*do you have any dry patches or discoloration of your feet, legs, nipples?
*do the pulsating sensations coincide with the dizziness? When do you feel them most? While laying down or on exertion or on suddenly changing position?

I recommend :
-a physician consult, cardiologist opinion
-electrocardiogram, echocardiogram
-chest x-ray
-doppler study of your carotids and legs to check for occlusion or thrombosis
-a coronary angiogram if indicated
-blood tests (complete blood count, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, lipid profile, kidney and liver function tests)
-urine analysis

Based on these, we can identify the cause. It is vital to seek medical attention right away as if the blockage in the vessels is large enough, it can compromise circulation to your legs, brain.and can cause life threatening complications.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. Hope this helps

Wish you good health.
Dr. Shuba Hariprasad

Follow-up: What causes burning sensation in the calves? 13 hours later
Did you receive my follow up responses? They don't seem to be appearing in our continuing dialogue.

Answered by Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
No didn't receive response

Detailed Answer:
No I did not receive any response from you. Please try and send them again.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
Dr Shuba Hariprasad

Follow-up: What causes burning sensation in the calves? 11 hours later
Thank you for insight Dr. XXXXXXX Further to your follow up questions; I am a smoker (10 t0 12 a day), and a very rare drinker. Ten years ago I had mechanical aortal valve implanted and a double bypass. I subsequently take a baby aspirin and 10 mg of rampiral in the mornings. In the evenings I take 40 mg of simvastatin, and 8 mg of warfarin (maintaining an INR around 3.0).

I haven't noticed any particular discolouration or dry patches of skin in the areas you suggested.

The pulsing sensations and dizziness are becoming more common and correspond with any exertion and will persist while laying down.

Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of thrombosis still present

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the follow up & clarifications.
With an INR of 3, it is unlikely but possible for you to still develop thrombosis.
This happens in a small group of individuals.
The mechanical valve also needs to be checked for function & patency.

Please consider my earlier recommendations. It is vital to check this right away.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
Wish you good health.

Dr. Shuba Hariprasad