What causes burning sensation around iris?

The other night I fell asleep with my contacts in. I took them out the following morning. All that day I had a red ring around my iris and a burning sensation. Now on day 2 the eye is still red, not burning anymore, but is very light sensitive. Is it possible I scratched something when taking the lens out?.
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: This is contact lens related corneal damage. Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to Health care Magic Iam Dr. Dadapeer K. an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. It seems from the history that you slept overnight with contact lenses, following this you are having redness of eyes and burning sensation. Contact lenses are supposed to be worn only during day time and wearing them during sleep causes hypoxia to the corneal epithelium resulting in redness of the eyes, corneal epithelial defects and sometimes resulting in infection of the cornea. The first thing to be done is to stop wearing contact lenses till the redness subsides. Since you have mentioned that you are having light sensitivity, this indicates corneal epithelial defect. This can be caused by over night wearing of contact lenses or by scratching of the cornea while removing the contact lenses. The treatment is by antibiotic eye drops and artificial tear eye drops after consultation with your ophthalmologist. I will treat patient's with this condition by using antibiotic eye drops and artificial eye drops and asking the patient to stop the use of contact lens till the corneal epithelial defect is completely healed. Hence I advice you to consult your ophthalmologist for examination and prescription of the eye drops. Hope I have answered your query and the information is helpful to you. Thank you