Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes burning sensation after urination and blood in urine?

Question
i went to the emergency room for UTI symptoms, i only have mild burning when urinating and some blood in my urine.. they took a urine test and said i have no signs of infection, just a lot of protien in my urine and that i whould drink a whole bunch of water. I also have an eating disorder, but can malnutritin/dehydration cause uti symptoms? like burning urethra, mild when urinating, and some blood in urine?
Posted Sun, 2 Feb 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Severe dehydration may cause protein in the urine. Detailed Answer: Good Day and thank you for being with Healthcare Magic! It is very rare that dehydration would present as blood in the urine and pain during urination. Blood in the urine is always a concern and I would suggest to get a kidney and urinary bladder ultrasound to be sure that you don't have any tumors or stones that may have lead to your urinary symptoms. I would also suggest to see a urologist as soon as possible to get proper treatment and evaluation. I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications at: WWW.WWWW.WW I would gladly help you. Best wishes.

Follow-up: What causes burning sensation after urination and blood in urine? 5 minutes later
the doctor said its because my urine is very concentrated due to dehydration and malnutrition, which is causing the bladder irritation and my bladder walls are almost "rubbing together"? i just wanted to hear what you had to say about it as a second source, but okay thank you!

Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: It could be what you doctor said. Detailed Answer: Thank you for the follow-up question. It could be what your doctor have said that you have very concentrated urine but it shouldn't cause painful urination, It is very hard to label it as such unless a workup has been done like an ultrasound and urine culture. It would be better to do the tests first before saying that it just because of dehydration and not something more serious. I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications at: WWW.WWWW.WW I would gladly help you. Best wishes. Regards, Manuel C. See IV, M.D. DPBU FPUA

Follow-up: What causes burning sensation after urination and blood in urine? 2 minutes later
i did take a urine test, i peed into a cup and they did a dip test or is a urine culture something different?

Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 2 minutes later
Brief Answer: Very different. Detailed Answer: Urine culture is where we put your urine in a Petri dish and we culture it and we wait for the bacteria to grow to be able to identify the bacteria and what type of antibiotics can be best used to treat it. It is the gold standard in diagnosing and detecting urinary tract infection, Regards, Manuel C. See IV, M.D. DPBU FPUA