Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes burning pain in the penis ?

I have been feeling a burning kind of pain in my penis for sometime now. it seems like I have to urinate more often. I used some over the counter medicine thinking that I had a urinary tract infection. it seemed to help a little but it did not cure it. I also feel pain and discomfort after I ejaculate. can you tell me what the problem is?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 days later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a very good one and I will try to provide you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

You have currently reported that you have experienced pain and burning with urination as well as with ejaculation. There are a couple of categories of medical issues which could be causing this.

The first category would be that of a Urinary tract infections typically caused burning with urination as well as increased frequency of urination during the day. This is sometimes associated with fever and lower abdominal cramping.

The second category would be bad of a sexually transmitted infection including chlamydia and gonorrhea. If you feel you at had some type of exposure recently this is something you certainly want to be tested for.

I think at this point it is necessary for you to have a complete urinalysis performed and it is possible that you may need an antibiotic. This is something that your primary care provider would certainly be capable of handling.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be both helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns regarding this question I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert.