What causes burning and spasms in esophagus after taking pill?

I swallowed a pill wrong and it feels like it did not go all the way down my esophagus. Now I have intense burning in my esophagus and also spasams. Helpful
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: Problems suggestive of Drug-induced Gastritis Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for your query. Some drugs, particularly pain-killers- if taken empty stomach- cause irritation of the stomach with resultant increased acid formation. Frequently, the stomach acid flows back into the esophagus, causing burning sensation and spasms. It is called Gastro-esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD). You need not worry. Just take antacid gels 30ml 3-4 times daily for 3-5 days; an anti-acid drug (belonging to Proton Pump Inhibitors' group) such as, rabeprazole or Esmoprazole for 2-3 weeks; and, a Prokinetic drug, such as, metoclopramide for a week. This will cure the problems. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with me and prescribe the advised drugs in appropriate doses. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal