What causes burning and bleeding from anus and what the treatment for it?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Hello, please help, I am 53yr old male who is just finding out that I may have been infected with HPV while being a victim of rape in my youth. I have been treated for warts on my penile skin and have been cleared of warts for a number of years. I did not know until recently that these warts are a result of HPV. However, my concern now is that I may have them anally and Im having a dificult time dealing with this because its bringing back old issues as well dealing with the embarassment. I have been suffering from occassional burning discharge and bleeding. I never told my doctor because I was afraid of being embarrassed. I do not know what to do. Please advise.
Posted Thu, 9 Jan 2014 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following suggestions... Detailed Answer: Hi, There is nothing to be embarrassed while you are addressing such health problems. I feel sorry for the situation you had in your youth and your current health situation. As I cannot do much to reverse your sad experience, however, I can do much more to help you get answers for your current problems. I am also happy to come to know that you have been cleared of warts. With regards to burning and bleeding problems from your anus (if not mistaken). At this point, I'd like to know if you can feel some kind of "bumps" in your anus area? Such bumps could be referred as hemorrhoids (external or internal). A physical examination should be carried out by a proctologist (the specialists who takes care of anal problems). Another cause could be : - constipation (could you indicate if you are have been constipated recently?) - colo-rectal masses (you are mentioning to be a diabetic, usually, such masses/polyps are common among diabetics) At the end, I'd advise to: - consult a GI specialist first to evaluate your current situation - do testing of occult blood in feces (to titer the amount of blood in stool) - colonoscopy (to check for polyps or other colo-rectal problems) - examination of stool for ova/parasites - culture of stool for bacteria/fungus/virus Please consult with GI specialist, refer to him/her all your medical concerns without being embarrassed as get helped as you deserve it! All the best! Dr.Bardha Feel free to ask me other questions you might have!