What causes bumps near vaginal opening?

Question
I have a linear bump with another bump right beside the bottom on the outside of the opening of my vagina. It is the same colour as the everything else. I'm in my early 40's and have been with 2 partners (ex husband for 11years and current partner 9 months) in the past 14 years. There are no lesions or blisters or raw skin. My partner suggested something was irritated when we had intercourse last as he had stubble in his genital area. I also should mention it felt tender but that is subsiding. This began 5 days ago. I have a small linear bump right beside the bottom on the outside of the opening of my vagina. It is the same colour as the everything else. I'm in my early 40's and have been with 2 partners (ex husband for 11years and current partner 9 months) in the past 14 years. There are no lesions or blisters or raw skin. My partner suggested something was irritated when we had intercourse last as he had stubble in his genital area. I also should mention it felt tender but that is subsiding. It may be coincidence or relevant (I have no idea) but a rather uncomfortable hemorrhoid appeared at the same time. I can't stop worrying about this and have a gynaecologist appointment Friday but am panicking with the wait. This began 5 days ago.
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hello, I would be happy to help... Detailed Answer: Okay, I want to understand the location of the bumps better: 1. Are they on the labia (the non-hair bearing area)? 2. What is their exact size? 3. When it was irritated, was it only right after intercourse? Did they get bigger at that time? Thank you.

Follow-up: What causes bumps near vaginal opening? 1 hour later
Thank you! 1) yes thru are on the labia and best i can tell from looking at diagrams, near the bartholins gland opening (they are in a "fold" there - good to note that i am athletic and in good shape so the fold is naturally occuring not due to excess weight). 2) one is perhaps 3mm in length the other perhaps 1-2mm...they may be connected its very difficult to discern 3) I did not notice them until the next day when i felt something while washing. They were inflammed and somewhat tender. I have been bathing in epsom salts every day since discovering them and have keep the area extra clean and dry. They kind of remind me of that uncomfortable feeling i had during pregnancy...not a pain, itch etc but hard to describe unfortunately.

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Thank you for the followup... Detailed Answer: Given that the bumps are where you describe, they are almost certainly related to "clogged" glands. The Bartholin gland is located just inside and towards the back of the vagina. When it is swollen, it is usually very obvious and looks like a large round swollen area. These areas that you are describing seem much smaller. Typically, just as you are doing, the treatment begins with avoiding intercourse and soaking the area a couple of times per day. If they do not resolve or drain on their own, then it is worth having your OB/GYN take a look at them. I hope that this helps and good luck!