What causes bumps and cold sore on inner cheek?

Question
Feeling around in mouth and found pea sized bump on inside of cheek. No pain. Just developed a cold sore on same side of face. Ex smoker.
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: List of causes, and doctor visit recommended Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. The pea sized lump can appear due to various causes ma'am, and for your reference I shall list some of the most common causes: -Vitamin deficiency -In association with infections -Lowered immunity due to infections, medications, chronic infections, etc. -Tumor -Cancer due to tobacco chewing or smoking (rare) As you can see ma'am, the causes are all wuite different and thus it will be difficult to comment on the exact cause without both a physical examination and laboratory investigation of a tissue sample from the affected area (called a biopsy). I would reccomend a visit to a physician first, who will conduct the physical examination and initial investigations and later direct you to a specialist if required. In all likeliness, this could be due to the infection you currently have or a vitamin deficiency that can also result from the infection. Please do not be alarmed and visit a doctor as it is better to be safe than sorry, don't you think? I hope you find my response helpful ma'am. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help. Best wishes.

Follow-up: What causes bumps and cold sore on inner cheek? 1 minute later
Would it be beneficial to wait a few days or couple of weeks to let the possible infection to clear? Then, if it has not within a couple weeks, see a professional for assessment? I will do that. Thank you very much.

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes of course ma'am Detailed Answer: Hello once again ma'am. Yes, of course. It would be wise to wait and see if the infection clears and if it has not, then we can consider a doctors visit and an elaborate examination. In the meantime, also try to include red meat in your diet to see if it helps with treating the vitamin deficiency. Hope this helps. Do keep in touch ma'am, I am always available to help. Best wishes. Brief Answer: Please keep me in the loop Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am. You are most welcome. Please do keep me informed about any new developments, or if you god-willing experience an improvement. God bless.

Follow-up: What causes bumps and cold sore on inner cheek? 9 hours later
Thank you, again. I was thinking about it last night, and I have had these types of things in the past. They appear when I'm having problems with my allergies/sinuses. They are always located somewhere on my head, i.e. under my chin, near my jaw. I live in an inversion valley. Recently, we had about two weeks of stagnant air. When this happens, I have allergies/sinus flare ups. These little bumps clear up and go away within about two weeks. Thoughts? God bless you, too.

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, this would be perfectly normal Detailed Answer: Hello once again ma'am. As I had mentioned earlier, infections lead to a drop in immunity and so do allergies. The appearance of such bumps/boils/lumps takes place when the body has a lowered immunity and disappear immediately after. This would be considered normal. What I would advise for such a presentation, would be the use of vitamin C supplements. Not only does vitamin C help replenish the lost vitamins, but it also helps to fight the infections. Vitamin C in the form of supplements or even fresh fruits or other naturally available forms will certainly help. Wishing you a speedy recovery and a healthy life thereafter. And thank you so much for your wishes ma'am. Take care.

Follow-up: What causes bumps and cold sore on inner cheek? 2 minutes later
Thank you very much. May you have a full, healthy life. God bless you.

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: Your wishes are all I really need Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am. Thank you so much for your wishes ma'am, they are all I really need from my patients. A long life is a curse without good health, so I wish you the same (i.e. a long and healthy life). And please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help. God bless.