What causes bulging of eyes when on schizophrenia medication?

My sister has right bulging eye and the left tears. She is over weight but is on heavy med's for schizophrenia. Should she 1st visit the family Dr. to get a referral to an Endocrinologist? I'm thinking she has a thyroid condition or Graves disease. Thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thyroid problem is quiet likely possibility Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to XXXXXXX If it is symptom-less bulging of eyes then possibility of thyroid issues is quiet likely.Again weight gain is also one of the feature of thyroid issues. I would suggest you to go to family doctor first, as doctor will rule out other causes of bulging eyes and get thyroid levels tested. This way you will have to visit endocrinologist once , as you will be ready with reports. Also if reports are normal no need to see specialist. Hope this answers your question.Regards.