What causes bruises on the calf muscles ?

Good evening! I am a 34 year old female with degenerative disc disease, and stenosis of the spine. I am 5 feet 3 inches tall and I weigh 127 pounds. Following a cervical procedure last week, I had 4 pulmonary embolisms and 2 blood clots (one behind each knee). Tonight, I found an area on my left calf that is beginning to bruise. It is slightly enflamed, and tender to touch. Is this something I should be alarmed about immediately, or can it wait until the morning to call my doctor's office? I need this answer ASAP, as it is 1:15 in the morning.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 21 minutes later

An area on the calf with spontaneously appearing bruise without any history of trauma is indicative of a bleeding disorder.

This might have happened secondary to the blood thinning agents like coumadin that you are taking after pulmonary embolism.

Excessive intake of food stuffs like fish oils, ginkgo biloba, ginger or garlic can precipitate such events.

Spontaneous bleeding needs to be investigated with coagulation and bleeding profiles .Your doses of coumadin may need to be reduced accordingly.

It is best to attend an ER as soon as possible to avoid further complications.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.