What causes brownish discoloration on fingers?

The tip of my index finger has become brownish in color and continues to gradually get more brown
Posted Sat, 15 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: Pigmentation nail Detailed Answer: Hi I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same. Now you seem to have developed pigmentation in the nail. But since the picture quality is not that great, it is difficult to make out the exact type of pigmentation. Can you please click another close up picture and upload it here on this page. Also please tell if only one nail is involved or are there multiple nails involved? Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: What causes brownish discoloration on fingers? 9 minutes later
It is just the tip of my right index finger only. The nail and the skin down to about the first joint
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Melanonychia nail Detailed Answer: Hi, After thoroughly analyzing the picture and correlating with your finding I can make out the condition of Melanonychia. It is a brownish or blackish discoloration of nail. It can be as a result of trauma or medications or as a part of some skin problem s such as lichen planus or fixed drug eruption. The condition is most often benign but we always try and rule out any possibility of melanoma in the same. If the melanoma part is ruled out then we consider it as normal condition and some times it can be possible by consumption of some drugs too. So let me know if you have consumed any medication in recent past. Also just check out any such brownish spots on other parts of body. In these cases we require a complete medical history and a physical assessment to rule out possible contributing factors. In your case as it is coming on the joint space skin too so in my experience it rules out melanoma (as in melanomas these remain confined to the nail bed only). I suggest you to meet a dermatologist near you and apprise my suggestions. As I said in most of the cases it is a normal finding so do not worry and just get it checked physically by dermatologist. Hope it helps. Dr Geetika Paul