What causes brown vaginal discharge?

im a 65 year old females and im having brown secreation coming from my private area i had a hyst 30 years ago and i dont have any overays or a urturs im having alot of pain and cramping and i was running a fever last night what could this be it has been going on for 5 days now
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Looks like vaginitis. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for the query. Abnormal vaginal discharge is a common complaint across all age groups. The discharge may be due to excessive (physiological) formation of secretions or due to an infection. Since you had fever and discharge is brown colored it is likely to be infection. Discharge due to infection is foul smelling and causes much irritation. Non-specific vaginitis occurs commonly in debilitated women, pill users, pregnancy and diabetics. Specific infections occur due to candida (fungus), trichomonas or bacteria. Poor hygiene predisposes to such infections. Lactobacilli (Myconip, vaginal tab) will help to restore vaginal acidity and thus reduce bacterial growth. A number of fixed dose combinations or kits are available for treatment of mixed vaginal infections.I recommend use of one such combination in my patients.You can also try one of them. High standards of personal hygiene are an essential part of the treatment. On precautionary basis consider visit to your doctor, if you have not been screened for cervical cancer recently.I am mentioning this on a precautionary basis keeping in mind your age. Hope this answers your question.Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.