What causes brittle and crumbly toenails are?

My toenails are brittle and crumbly. Why? Last year I had both both big toenails removed. One had come back brittle and crumbly. The rest of my nails are brittle and crumbly as well. The toenail that came back had a strep infection one week after is was removed. What is wrong?
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: pictures Detailed Answer: Hi Please click some close up pictures of the feet showing the nails. I would like to have a look at the toe nails to see the possibility of a fungal infection. You can upload the pictures here on this page. You can also mail them at YYYY@YYYY with heading as ref to Dr Geetika Paul. Also let me know if your nails were all affected together or one by one. What about finger nails? Since when do you have this problem? Any itching or rash elsewhere over the body? Are you diabetic? Dr Geetika Paul