What causes brief giddiness while lying down?

On Wed. I experienced dizziness when I laid down in bed. It lasted only about 8 seconds then I was OK. But I have experienced it every night soon as my head hits the pillow, the room starts to spin for about 5-8 seconds and then I'm OK. I'm OK during the daytime. Why would this happen?
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: Postural drop Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query The most likely reason for the brief giddiness is because of postural drop in blood pressure which often seen in elderly individuals. It requires no treatment, I advice my patients to sit on the edge of the bed for a minute and slowly recline onto the bed and the same to be done while getting up as well. The most common cause for this is a age related sclerotic aortic valve, please approach a cardiologist for an ECHO to look for it. You could also request him to check for postural drop in blood pressure I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me I wish you good health Regards