What causes breathlesness,bloating in belly,legs and ankles?

My husband is recovering from his third open heart surgery--to replace the tricuspid valve. He is in a rehab program, however I see little or no progress in two weeks. He continues to be short of breath and needs oxygen all of the time. Hehas a bloated belly.and bloated legs and ankles. He can hardly walk and consequently has great difficulty accomplishing the required therapy. Is this the result of ascites?
Posted Tue, 4 Feb 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Congestive Heart Failure Detailed Answer: Dear Mam. Thanks for writing to us. It seems he is suffering from congestive heart failure. Since he has tricuspid valve problem so he must be having Right heart failure. But Ascitis , pedal edema frequently occur in Left Heart Failure. Breathlessness occurs in both. I advice you to get his ECHO to see his ejection fraction and that would also clear the status of heart chambers. In Left Ventricular Failure diuretics would help. You should discuss with your doctor to give you the exact diagnosis. I would be able to tell you better. Let me know if any other particular query you have. Wish him a speedy recovery.