What causes bowel obstruction with abdominal pain?

Hello Doctor. About 3 weeks back, I felt uneasiness with my stomach, incomplete motion about 3-4 times a day (although not loose but soft) and abdominal pain primarily before motions. I went to see my family doctor who prescribed me Oflex 700 mg for 5 days and also recommended me to undergo LFT and routine stool test. Reports for LFT and Stool test were absolutely normal except for a small remark in stool test as semi-digested. My condition rather deteriorated from the second day of taking antibiotics. I started to feel nausea, severe acidity and puked a couple of times despite taking Pantocid 40 empty stomach every morning. From third day, doctor had to change my antibiotic and gave me Metronidazole (3 tablets daily for 3 days) along with Mucaine Gel syrup. I maintained a soft diet, no milk (only curd) and lots of pro-biotic milk during the treatment and even post the antibiotic course for about a week. However, even after medications, for last 2 weeks, constipation and acidity persist despite adequate intake of fibre in my diet. I have been eating light home cooked food throughout except for eating out only once at a wedding last night. Acidity at regular intervals causes pain sometimes abdominal, at times even in my chest (either sides). I also felt burning sensation in my stomach during last three days as soon as I got up early in the morning but was relieved post breakfast. I have lost around 4 kg weight during the past 3 weeks. I am a bit more worried considering my official travel plans starting February end. I don't know if any infection still persists but would prefer not to go for an antibiotic again since Oflex made things worse last time with its side effects. Request your kind advice. Thanks and Regards, XXXX
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 3 hours later
Brief Answer: sensitive stomach Detailed Answer: Hello, Thank you for the query. Looks like you have a sensitive stomach rather than any infection in stomach. So do not worry. Slowly regularize your diet to normal. Do not sleep 2 hours after meals. Regularize your eating or sleeping time. Avoid antibiotics as stool routine is normal. Can continue taking probiotics available over the counter like VSL # 3 once a day. If symptoms persist then worthwhile visiting a gastroenterologist. Mean while instead of pantocid can try taking pantocid - DSR once before breakfast which is available over the counter. Can also try taking isapgula husk 2 teaspoon at night which is available over the counter. Hope this answers your query. Wish you a speedy recovery.