What causes bowel difficulties when on risperdal consta injection?

Addiction Medicine Specialist
I have been on the risperdal consta injection for 4 years now. My major concerns are rectum release of fecal ongoing and musc le stiffness severly. I think it's time to maybe try abilify oral to see if this works. Had it at one time and helped me alot
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, Abilify can be tried. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to Healthcare Magic! Risperidone, which is the active agent in Risperdal Consta injections, can cause muscle stiffness as well as both constipation and diarrhea. The muscle stiffness can be countered by addition of an anticholinergic agent like trihexyphenidyl or benztropine. These, however, can worsen constipation. Abilify (aripiperazole) is likely to be associated with lesser side effects than Risperdal Consta and I would expect you to tolerate it better. It can be used to replace Risperdal if it works well for you this time also. You also have a third option. You can discuss with your doctor if you are ready for a decrease in the dose of Risperdal Consta. A decrease in dose may resolve most of the adverse effects that are troubling you. Since switching from one medicine to the other involves a risk of relapse, be very careful when you do so. Follow your doctor's orders and choose a time for switching when life is comparatively less stressful. This will help ensure a smooth transition. I hope this helps you. Please feel free to ask in case you need any clarifications. Best wishes. Dr Preeti Parakh MD Psychiatry