What causes body chills with shivering and sweating?

my husband has experienced chills, shivering 2 nights ago as he goes to bed. But last night he woke up soaked in sweat. He hasn't had any other symptoms but should he see his doctor?
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Behar Greca 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: It depends on his health condition... Detailed Answer: Hi, thank you for posting. I read your query very carefully and I understood it well. I hope I can help you. I think that your husband is affected from a respiratory virus. The immediately manifest of the symptoms is a convincing argue that it is a respiratory virus. In these cases acetominophen is used and your husband should drink a lot of fluids like juice and tea. He also needs a bed rest. If chills and fever continues for the last three days he should contact a general and family physician to find the diagnose. For any doubts ask me. Dr. Behar.
Follow-up: What causes body chills with shivering and sweating? 8 minutes later
would he need to see his doctor for antibiotics?
Answered by Dr. Behar Greca 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: If his health doesn't improve until tomorrow... Detailed Answer: Yes, he should contact the doctor for making a physical examination, a blood test to check leukocyte counts, urine test and if it is needed a pulmonary X-ray, only if his health condition doesn't improve for the next day. The result of the test will determine if antibiotic is needed. Antibiotic isn't necessary if it only a viral disease. Dr. Behar.