What causes blurred vision?

General Surgeon
Hi, My Niece who is 5 years old told me as we stood outside her school that she saw double.. what happened was that her two friends were standing in front of a fence that had snow behind it, they were chatting about lipgloss and my niece told me she was trying to grab the other fence, cause she had seen two… she was staring intently at the lipgloss in her friends hand.. she was fine for rest of day then 4 days later, today, she said as she was speaking to me while focused at the wall behind me that she saw double/blurry.. everything else is fine… how concerned should i be!
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer: There is no cause for concern Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day There is no cause for concern. It perfectly okay for children to have this while focusing on two objects simultaneously, especially with snow in background which causes refraction of light. Gentle eye massage with rolling rhythm and looking at distant object will be helpful. There is no cause for concern if there are no associated complaints. Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Pediatric Surgeon
Follow-up: What causes blurred vision? 5 minutes later
Thank you kindly for your response, this has relieved me a bunch!! I've been looking online and seeing all sorts of horrible things it could be :-/ The second time it happened i was standing in front of the white tiles of our bathroom, i feel like the second time she may have kinda been fooling around to see what her eyes could do, she felt maybe the same as the first incident but being more playful and curious about it… what should I look out for if it happens again?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Look for Nystagmus Detailed Answer: Hi Greetings I am glad to know that you are relieved. Feels good. Look for nystagmus that is rolling movement of the eyeball next time she has the symptom. You rightly pointed out the cause as optical illusion. The next time you have an appointment with your Physician just routinely mention this complaint. Normal physical examination will be much more reassuring. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak
Follow-up: What causes blurred vision? 2 minutes later
thank you again you have been thoughtful, and of course very knowladgable take care
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Take care Detailed Answer: Greetings Take care. Wishing you and your family a very happy and healthy life. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak