What causes blurred vision in one eye?

Hello: Approximately 2 years ago I realized that the vision in my left eye was very blurry. I did not realize this until one day I checked my eyes interchanging covering of one eye and then the other and that is when I found the problem. I cannot identify words, figures, objects etc. especially if the are far away. However if I bring reading material/objects to approximately 5 inches in front of my face I am able to see better. I went to Optometrists and Ophthalmologists and they are unable to identify what the problem is and how to treat with it (I do not wear glasses as this was not improving my vision by much). I am unsure as to how long my left eye have been affected because my right eye compensates for the left eye and I am seeing well with both eyes open. I know however that this was not since childhood as medicals (done for school) including reading of eye charts did not identify any problems with my eyes. Any assistant would be greatly appreciated.
Posted Fri, 7 Mar 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Anisometropia Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Based on the symptoms you have I suspect you to have Anisometropia. It is the condition in which the two eyes have unequal refractive power. In you I believe that the affected eye is Myopic, commonly known as being shortsighted. It is a condition of the eye where the light that comes in does not directly focus on the retina but in front of it, causing the image that one sees when looking at a distant object to be out of focus, but in focus when looking at a close object. The image of the fundus you have attached also shows some minor signs which can be considered as complications of myopia. The only and best treatment mode is Spectacle or contact lens. The correction is different in both eyes suiting such that the normal eye need not compensate and the affected eye refractive error be corrected. Since you can read the near images well and cant make out the farther ones. The diagnosis of Anisometropia with Myopia suits you well. I do not think it is a problem with retina or the occular medium as in such cases vision for both near and far would be worse. Wish you good health. regards,