What causes bluish swelling of the lower eyelid?

the lift lower eye lid swollen blue in color taking prednisolone
Posted Sun, 23 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 2 hours later
Brief Answer: This can be drug induced ecchymosis. Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to health care magic. I am Dr Dadapeer K, an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. It seems from the history that you are having swelling of the lower eyrlid bluish in colour. This is because of collection of blood in the layers of skin of eyelids called as ecchymosis. The most common cause for it is injury either to the eye or its surrounding structures. The other causes are diabetes, hypertension, bleeding disorders, side effects of drugs.... Since you have mentioned that you are on tablet prednisolone this can be because of the drug itself. If you are experiencing other symptoms like blurring of vision, weight gain, bruising elsewhere in body..... the probable cause in the form of drug induced will be confirmed and this requires stopping the drug and replacing by other alternative drug to prednisolone. Hence do consult your doctor for confirmation of diagnosis and treatment accordingly. Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you. Thank you