What causes bluish discoloration in my foot?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I jammed my small toe yesterday morning. All of my toes, my foot and my ankle are now swollen and my most of my foot is a bluish color.
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Might be due to Hematoma (blood clot) formation. Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Your Ankle and foot swollen along with bluish discolouration is highly suggestive of Hematoma formation which might have resulted due to the spread of blood along the fascial planes of the foot. An Xray of the ankle & foot is necessary to rule out bony injury (possible fracture). The general treatment guidelines for this condition are as follows - - Protect the injured area from further injury by using a support or splint - Rest the injured joint . Avoid activity for the first 48 to 72 hours. - Ice packing the painful area for the first 48 to 72 hours after the injury. Apply ice wrapped in a damp towel to the injured area for 15 to 20 minutes every two to three hours during the day - Use an elastic compression bandage around the injured area to limit any swelling and movement that could damage it further. It should be wrapped snugly around the affected area but not so tightly that it restricts blood flow. - Keep the injured area raised and supported on a pillow to help reduce swelling. - Use simple analgesics like aleve or advil as needed. Consult an orthopedic surgeon in your locality for a detailed evaluation and further management. Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further Regards