What causes blue lumps on my left thigh?

Hi A few months ago out of the blue a lump appeared on my left thigh. I maintained it was a bite from a mosquito or a boil, but it was not going down. Asked the pharmacist to have a look at it and he prescribed 2 creams ( 1 was ichtammol ointment) which he informed me to use for 1 week and one other cream which I cannot remember the name of. I applied the creams as prescribed and eventually a head came on the lump and it bust leaking some fluid out. The lump went down, but I am left with what looks like a bruise on my leg. GP had a look and recommended that I see a dermatologist. Can you give me your opinion?
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation.Sunscreen Ster Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and image and understand your concern. It seems to be a Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. It is a discolouration that is left on the skin after an underlying skin disease has healed. This hyperpigmentation will gradually lessen over time and normal skin colour will return. However, this is a long process that may take up to 6-12 months or longer. Use a good broad spectrum sunscreen with SPF 30 and steroid ointment daily to reduce further darkening. If the Hyperpigmentation persists even after two or more years, you can try chemical peels or laser treatments. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.