What causes blood in urine while on Furosemide?

Question
I am an 83 year old male. my DR has me on 20mg of furosemide once a day. today I started passing blood and it looks like 100% blood. In the past two hours I have passed about one half pint of blood. Could the medication cause this
Posted Sat, 18 Nov 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Go to the ER now.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

It's possible this is related to the furosemide although it is a rare side effect.

I want you to go to the ER right now please. It is not normal to pass XXXXXXX blood in the urine under any circumstances and you are losing too much blood. Please go to the ER right now.

I would be happy to answer any further questions you might have but I don't want you to delay getting evaluated. Go to the ER and if you want to ask me questions then, please go ahead.