Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes blood in urine when urine test came negative for blood and infection?

Hi I have been passing blood in my urine for the past month or so especially when i get constipation and strain on the toilet. I have been to my GP twice there was no blood or infection in my urine sample. What could be the cause. I have passed a kidney stone in the past and go for yearly check ups for them my last check up was clear.
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX It seems that you are having gross hematuria. It means that the blood is visible on urination. The probably source of blood can be from urethra or urinary bladder. One way to identify source of blood is to check if it is coming during start of urinary stream or during the end. If it is during the start then it is urethral lesion. If it is during the end, it is probably bladder. Microscopic hematuria that is not visible to naked eye is usually from the kidneys. Since urine examination in physician's office is not yielding positive result, it is better to go for other tests. A spiral CT scan of the abdomen can be helpful to find the cause. Other tests like hemogram, coagulation profile should also be done. An anaerobic culture may be done. Let me know if I can assist you further. Dr Vaishalee