What causes blood in the urine after polyp removal and scraped prostate?

Question
On Nov. 20th I had a polyp removed from my bladder and my prostate scraped. I am still experiencing discomfort in my abdominal area and am passing blood when I urinate -sometimes quite visible. Urges to urinate are hourly and somewhat urgent. I need a "second" opinion on whether or not this is normal for this kind of surgery. Also, what might be causing it and what can I do to prevent it? How long does surgery like this take to heal? Doctor said something about "low grade" cancer cells. Should I be very worried about this?
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 2 hours later
Brief Answer: You need revaluation and few tests. Detailed Answer: Hello, Generally 6 weeks are needed for recovery after any such procedure.But since you are still finding blood in the urine you need to be re-evaluated. I would order for urine analysis, blood tests for your blood coagulation status and ultrasound to have look at your prostate and bladder. These investigations will help to know your current healing status and if needed treatment can be planned. Urinary bladder polyps are not actually cancer; but they are prone to become cancerous. So a watchful follow up is always needed. Follow up can be done by ultrasound or cystoscopy if needed. So though not extremely worrisome; but this should be cause of concern. Hope this answers your questions. Please ask if there are any doubts. Regards