What causes blood in stool?

OD on cod liver oil in 11 month old soft stool and tonight little blood in stool OD for few weeks by one teaspoon
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: Not due to cod liver oil. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. The mild amount of blood in the stool of your child is not related to the intake of cod liver oil. Blood in stools could be caused by various problems like gastroenteritis either viral , bacterial or amoebic or an inflammatory bowel disorder or gastrointestinal obstruction . Other causes include- Lactose intolerance or gluten sensitivity, intestinal polyps, etc. If there is no associated diarrhea; pain abdomen; vomiting then you can wait and watch for him to pass the next motion. In case the bleeding is persistent then it needs proper evaluation and stool examination under the guidance of a pediatrician. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL